I have a leak

It has been a wet month.  The past few weeks seemed to be a challenge on how well I can  handle repairs.  Thanks to a good friend I have staying with me right now, things went far better than they might have.  I’m sure he saved me a considerable amount of money by doing labor that I would otherwise have had to hire a repairman for.

First I had water on my basement floor near my furnace.  I knew it was coming from the humidifier that is attached to the furnace, but I didn’t know why.  Paul popped the cover off the humidifier and discovered that the waterfall filter was not working properly because it was clogged with lime.  We put it into a vinegar bath to see if it would soak clean, but instead it disintegrated.   We went to Lowes but they did not have one the correct size, so we went to Home Depot.  They didn’t have one the correct size either, but the worker informed us that they can be trimmed with a pair of kitchen scissors.  I purchased a filter that was the correct depth but a bit to long and wide.  Paul trimmed it down and installed it.  He then realized that a hose was not staying in the piping properly and got a new coupling to keep it together.  He helped me soak up the water from all over the floor and showed me how to switch the humidifier from winter to summer (oops, that hasn’t been done the past couple years).  If not for Paul’s assistance I would have hired someone to determine the problem and do the repair.  561574

On Thanksgiving day I noticed the area under the kitchen sink was wet.  We emptied out the cupboard and after soaking up the water Paul took a look.  My garbage disposal had rusted out and water that went down that side of the sink when straight through the motor and out the bottom.   That side of the sink was plugged as a reminder and a pail was placed under the garbage disposal.  I was able to prepare Thanksgiving dinner without a problem, then on Black Friday went shopping for a new garbage disposal.  While I was out shopping Paul installed it for me.  Again a tremendous help to have someone who knew the problem and was able to do the work, saving me the cost of a hiring someone to do the repair.

Then on Tuesday or Wednesday a week ago I discovered that my water bed had developed a leak.  Rather than mess with it during the week I waited until the weekend to look for the source of the leak.  It was pretty wet by then.  Luckily I had a repair kit on hand, and Paul helped me locate and patch the leak.  I still have one corner that seems rather damp, so will have to check and make sure I don’t have a second leak.  Not only that, but so much water leaked out that I now need to add water to the bed.  Makes me wonder if adding water a month or so ago started this lovely problem.  Lets hope not.

In the midst of all the leaks, I discovered that both my laptops had memory that was so full it was red lined.  My main one was so bad that it wouldn’t power up with the external drives plugged in.  Once again, Paul sat and helped me go through the hard drive, selecting things that could be deleted or moved to the D drive, freeing up space.   With that being said, I am now able to use my computer and type this story of what a leaky experience the past couple weeks have been.   I’m hoping for a dry December.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Cleaning, Coping, decisions, Discoveries, home, Kitchen, Life is a Melting Pot

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s